Tenure Publications and Maps
This section contains Alberta Energy publications relating to Tenure. The tenure system facilitates the leasing of rights that enable companies to explore for and develop petroleum and natural gas from Alberta's resources, for the benefit of the province's residents. The Alberta tenure system is looked upon by industry as one of the best in the world. If you have further questions, see the Frequently Asked Questions portion of our site.
This publication covers the administration of the province's oil and gas rights by the Tenure Business Unit. The information contained in this publication is of an explanatory nature, and is intended to provide an overview of Alberta’s petroleum and natural gas land tenure system province’s oil and gas rights by the Tenure Business Unit.
Business Process Review: Tenure, Continuations Survey
The Tenure Branch of Alberta launched a Business Process Review in 2009. Various industry representatives from the Canadian Association of Petroleum Producers (CAPP), Small Explorers and Producers Association of Canada (SEPAC), Canadian Association of Petroleum Landmen (CAPL), and Canadian Association of Petroleum Land Administration (CAPLA) met with Alberta Energy to discuss processes which resulted in proposed changes outlined in a survey conducted in March 2012. The proposals in the survey dealt with streamlining continuations regulations and processes. Attached are the results of this survey.
Alberta Tenure Information Exchange - April 2013
Information Bulletin 2013-01
Questions and Answers
Land-Use Framework Regional Planning and PNG Tenure
Alberta Energy Regulator
North American Prospect Expo - February 2013
Shallow Rights Reversion Information Session - November 2008
Shallow Rights Reversion
ZD's and DRRZD's - April 2007
ZD's and DRRZD's Presentation
Mineral Ownership in Alberta
The Department of Energy administers Crown owned minerals on behalf of the province. The Alberta Crown owns approximately 81% of the province's mineral rights. The remaining 19% are either freehold minerals or belong to the Crown in the right of Canada.
Alberta Regional Boundary
This map shows the Plains, Northern and Foothills regions of Alberta. These regions are used to determine the type of agreement term for petroleum and natural gas agreements.